So probably a year or 2 ago I saw this ragged edge quilt on Crazy Mom Quilts, and decided I wanted to make one like it for Evelyn when she got her big girl bed. I though it looked like a fairly simple quilt since the base of it was just 9″x9″ squares and the others are sew on top and are not super precise and given that this would be the first quilt I have ever made I figured not having to worry about exacting standards would be a good thing. So I started collecting fabrics, fat quarters, quarter yards, ends etc. I did not quite have enough so I hit up Etsy and purchased a bunch more. Crazy Mom used 13 fabrics in pinks and her quilt was much smaller, maybe crib sized. I used MANY fabrics in pink and orange tones. I honestly have NO idea how many I used. Some fabrics only have 1 or 2 squares made with it, some are repeated several times. Maybe some time when I have nothing better to do I will count them all, but likely not as I never have nothing better to do.
I did mine a bit differently then Crazy Mom. I though I could cut down some steps by sewing the 9×9’s all together and then sewing back to front with batting in between THEN sew on 6″ and 3″ squares to effectively cut out having to do more quilting later. I figured worst case scenario if I found i needed to do more quilting after I could.
I started by cutting out my squares. I had purchased a 12×12 quilters grid thing for cutting and borrowed my moms rotary cutter. I wish I had purchased a larger grid. They are fairly expensive but a larger one is more useful for general sewing and I find I wish I had a larger one but cant afford to go purchase another, should have just got the first one bigger and been done with it.
After I had all the squares cut out and the little one was in bed where she couldn’t disturb what I had to do I laid out my pattern on the floor. I wanted it to be fairly random but without pieces repeating in the same row or column and not too close together.
Last step was binding off. I didn’t want to have to make my own seam binding tape as having to cut long lengths of fabric precisely and then sewing it all together and ironing it perfectly was just not going to happen. Making my own binding could suck it. My mom was thinking I should use satin seam binding because kids like it but that stuff tends to not last very long and I wanted this thing to be a keep sake and last generations (big dreams eh?). So I bought double fold seam binding tape by the yard. Its much tougher than the satin and should stand the test of time.
Yeah for more night photos!!
At the corner I stopped at 1/4″ from edge, reinforced it and snipped it off. Fold binding into a 90 degree right angle and pressed it down with my fingers.
Then fold it back on itself and pinned it down. the fold is under what you see here. This gives a nice finished mitered corner.
Washing it makes it fray on the edges, which is part of the charm of this quilt. You have to take some scissors and trim up all the edges. I will likely have to do this after a couple washing’s.
And Yes I know her room is quite bare and spartan right now but I am in the progress of decorating and turning it from one little girls room, to a nursery and big girl room all in one.